Do you have keratoconus or another type of corneal irregularity due to a medical condition or post-surgical complications? Are you considering giving up conventional contacts due to dry eye syndrome?
Consider scleral contact lenses! Contact Totowa Eyecare in Totowa to learn more and to discover a new sense of freedom with sclerals!
What Are Scleral Contact Lenses?
Sclerals are customized rigid gas permeable lenses that are wider than conventional lenses. Their name reflects the fact that they vault over the cornea and rest on the sclera, the white part of the eye.
Scleral contact lenses are 14-24 mm in diameter, while regular contacts are 9mm. This gives sclerals room to accommodate irregularly shaped corneas and provides a reservoir of moisture to soothe dry eyes.
4 Essential Facts About Scleral Contact Lenses
1. Sclerals Are the Right Fit for Irregularly Shaped Corneas
Keratoconus, astigmatism and complications from eye surgery can all result in an irregular-shaped cornea, and wearing contact lenses when your eyes are hard to fit can be challenging. Because sclerals are larger than regular contacts and don’t sit on the sensitive cornea, they provide lots of space and a comfortable fit.
2. Scleral Contact Lenses Can Reduce Dry Eye Symptoms
If you have dry eye syndrome, you may be tempted to give up on wearing contacts altogether. Scleral lenses are ideal for people with dry, itchy and irritated eyes. A lubricating pool of saline solution inside each scleral lens can reduce or even eliminate dry eye discomfort.
3. Sclerals Create a Wider Field of Vision
The width of sclerals not only makes them more comfortable but can extend your field of vision. Their diameter can expand your optic zone and make your peripheral vision sharper and clearer.
4. Sclerals Are Durable and Long-Lasting
Rigid gas permeable contact lenses, including scleral lenses, last longer than conventional soft contacts. Their durable materials are designed to resist wear and tear, which is also why scleral lenses don’t require frequent replacements.
Enjoy the convenience and clear vision scleral lenses by scheduling an appointment with Totowa Eyecare and discover whether scleral lenses are the right choice for you.
Our practice serves patients from Totowa, Wayne, Woodland Park, Fair Lawn, and surrounding communities in Northern New Jersey.
Q: Can I exercise with scleral lenses?
- A: Scleral lenses are ideal for people who lead active lives—whether you’re a professional athlete or just like to pass a ball around with friends at the park. Thanks to their greater width, scleral lenses stay in place on the eye more than standard lenses while simultaneously providing clear crisp vision. That said, scleral lenses aren’t recommended for martial arts and other sports with a higher-than-usual rate of facial injuries.
Q: If I have keratoconus, can I avoid corneal surgery with scleral lenses?
- A: A study published in the Journal of Ophthalmology (2018) that examined 51 patients with advanced keratoconus found that 40 of them didn’t need surgery after wearing scleral lenses. In fact, wearing them reduced the need for corneal transplant or keratoplasty by half during a 5-year period.